TOP led a “Connectedness and Leadership" course for 13 young social entrepreneurs from different parts of Kenya, beginning in February 2017, continuing with a hands on project and ending with a 3-day workshop and graduation in July. The objectives of this course were to:
- understand what TOP is all about,
- move from the 'victim/needy mindset' into the prosumer/doer mindset,
- create the Web Of Inspiring Actions / Success Stories in a way that can inspire others,
- grow awareness on the importance of sharing,
- develop a road map of actions and set a series of achievable goals to be completed before the second session of intensive training, and continue on one’s own, to get support and to learn and develop sustainable solutions to authentic challenges in one's community
- understand the potential of Information and Communication Technology connected to ESD and start using it.
Each participant received a kit including a Raspberry PI3 subcomputer and electronic devices such as a humidity sensor. Participants were divided into groups and had to build a green wall providing food in urban environments (plants in recycled material with an automated irrigation system). This way, young adults were introduced to permaculture by using technology.
The feedback session showed that the leadership training is having impressive results in areas as diverse as the building of green walls and the development and implementation of a viable business plan for a TV broadcasting service. Other participants developed a Computer Numerical Control machine (CNC) using the kit they received. Another one worked on the process to turn plastic into usable material such as oil and made a demo.
Feedback - Samples:
Abner Otieno (SHOPHAR): Have you ever wondered how it would feel when all the years you spent in school were reduced to one week and the hard things now were more than possible but now a reality? That is the definition of the TOP week training where school is redone to fit the needs of our daily lives.
Christopher Ondigi (YARD): I feel transformed like those who have received Jesus Christ their lives. I have shifted from “I cannot do it” to “I can, I am and am done”. With too many gaps in Kenya and the whole world at large, I am destined to fill as much as I can with the knowledge I have acquired at TOP-utilizing my brains to maximum potential.
George Karema (YARD): Top kenya is an avenue I can use to explore and expound(transcend)on my potential in leadership, creativity, innovation, exposure to technology among others. It is a platform where we as youth(I included) can get to share knowledge as we tackle the problems facing the community or the country at large. As we endevour to help the community by providing solutions, we also get to develop ourselves.